It was a landmark day in 1986 for the Clan Grant Society when the owner, Gerald Brandon-Bravo from Whitebridge, gave the church to the Clan Grant Society.
In 1993 the building was handed over to a trust which is both a charity and a company limited by guarantee:
Clan Grant Centre Trust Limited
Scottish Charity number: SC021615
Scottish Company Number: SC144748
In its early days the church was in the diocese of Elgin Cathedral. The first Presbyterian minister was Andrew Henderson who was ordained in 1625. The present building was erected in 1826. The last sermon in public worship in the church was made by one of our Past Members, the Rev. G.V.R. (Jim) Grant MA. In the church grounds are two mausolea where some of the Clan Chiefs are buried.
The building is set in the midst of the Clan territories and there is some reason to suppose it may have been founded by our Patriarch Olav Hemingsson himself, probably shortly after 1060. The original dedication is to St Peter and the name Duthil for the area may well refer to St Dubhthac (to whom also the chapel at Rothiemurchus is dedicated).
The first idea was to develop the building as a museum. It was then decided to use it as a Clan Centre and has regularly hosted events including dinner dances and the Society AGM in August.
There are several projects still on going to improve both the fabric and interior of the centre further. Inside, two glass display cabinets dedicated to the Métis and the Cherokees have recently been installed by the Chief and Judy, as well as many paintings, photos and other Clan memorabilia displayed on the walls.
If you would like to help or support the development of the Clan Grant Centre at Duthil, please contact the Society in the first instance via our contact form.