The Opening Ceremony
The Ceremony to open Grantown 250 - celebrations to mark the 250th Anniversary of the founding of Grantown-on-Spey, began in the morning of Sunday, 21 June 2016 with a midsummer festival at the remains of the old village of Grantown, now in a grassy field within the grounds of Castle Grant.
Sir James - the Chief, his brother the Hon Michael, Judy Lewis, Sir Archie and Fiona Grant attended on behalf of the Clan Grant Society.
Local people were dressed in period costume of the 16th Century and included the founder of the town the Good Sir James – portrayed by another James Grant, who looked remarkably like the founder himself!
Everyone then travelled to new Grantown – some via horse and cart – for the unveiling of the newly rebuilt mercat cross in the town square (missing since 1765 - see article from the Scotsman regarding this missing landmark) and the official opening of the Grantown 250 week of events.
The weather was not kind (chucking it down), but this did not dampen the spirits of the many Visitors or of the City of Inverness Youth Pipe Band who had come dressed for the weather.
See Grantown`s Facebook page for more photos from the week’s events.